Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bombay Wraps: Sweet Softies

In the interest of inclusiveness, I am not limiting the scope of this blog to "true" potatoes. I stopped by Bombay Wraps today to try some of their sweet potato fries.

The Swell: The sweet potato fries at Bombay Wraps are fried to order and appear to be cut fairly fresh. They're not too expensive for a non-standard variety of fry. I didn't get any burnt fries, not by a long shot. I don't know if they were battered or if it was the "seasoning", but they had a nice bumpy texture which gave them some character.

The Sneaky: My order of fries came with a little unmarked container of red sauce. I initially assumed this was ketchup and, disappointed, set it aside at first. Then, curious why it came in a container rather than a packet, decided to try it. It was in fact not ketchup but rather a delicious sweet and spicy chili sauce that paired excellently with the fries. I only wish that they had labelled the container or mentioned it on the menu, I almost tossed it out!

The Sad: These fries were so soft! There was a slight crispness to some of them, but for the most part they were pretty floppy. Now, as someone who's made them in their own kitchen, I know sweet potato fries are hard to get crispy. But I feel like an operation like this could have accomplished it if they really tried. True, there are those who like their fries soft. But if I'm not going to have crunch I at least want flavor. The sauce was lovely, true, but very scantily portioned. And the fries, advertised as "seasoned with Indian spices" tasted like they were covered with little more than a bit of salt. I do love the taste of sweet potatoes--don't get me wrong--but I expected a little something more.

Bombay Wraps makes fries that pair well with their flavorful Indian sandwiches. However, they don't quite make the grade as exceptional fries on their own.

Rank: SIDE DISH

No comments:

Post a Comment